We've had a lot of comments on our portfolio about the design, layout and connection to Flickr. How did we do that? It's easy.
- Obviously you need a Flickr account first.
- Login to Flickr and upload your portfolio photos, add comments with keywords you want to rank on. Ideally, make sure your photos are all scaled to the same size, for example 400px (height) X 500px (width).
- Create Flickr sets that reflect your portfolio themes - ours included types of marketing we do, like Medical Marketing, Financial Marketing, etc.
- Drag and drop your photos to appropriate sets.
- Go to http://www.pictobrowser.com and enter your Flickr screen name and click the Continue button.
- Choose a set from the Sets pulldown - the menu will shift to the left.
- Set up your Flash player properties - File Size (should be medium), Alignment (best is centered), width and height set to fit your typical photo size, and background color (to match your portfolio page).
- Click on the HTML tab and copy the HTML code.
- Paste the HTML code into your portfolio web page and save.You can further style the page using HTML and CSS.
- Repeat this for each Flickr set and add to a new portfolio page.
- If you add new photos to existing Flickr sets for which you have created portfolio pages, they will update automatically.
Enjoy your new portfolio!
Why use this approach? It's easy to upload photos to Flickr and you only have to do it once to keep your portfolio updated. It's also powerful because you are storing your photos with keywords in the descriptions on Flickr, which gives you all the viral inbound marketing power of a social networking site.