15 Mobile Marketing Statistics Every Marketer Should Know
Many of today’s trends point directly to mobile being the dominant marketing platform of tomorrow. In fact, one could argue based on the below that it should be the dominant platform of today. As marketers, we should be rapidly developing and deploying sustainable and scalable inbound mobile strategies in order to take advantage of the opportunity in front of us today and the rapidly approaching future. Below are 15 mobile statistics every marketer should know.
- Mobile phones to overtake PCs as most common web browsing device by 2013 - Gartner
- 77% of the world’s population subscribes to mobile – 5.3 billion people – International Telecommunication Union
- This year over 85% of new phones will be able to access the mobile Internet worldwide – over 90% in US & Western Europe - Gartner
- Almost one in five global mobile subscribers have access to fast mobile Internet (3G or better) – Morgan Stanley
- In the US 25% of mobile web users are mobile only – On Device Research
- Mobile ad spend worldwide is predicted to be $3.3 billion in 2011 sky rocketing to $20.6 billion in 2015 - Gartner
- Over 300,000 mobile apps have been developed in three years. Apps have been downloaded 10.9 billion times - IDC
- On average US smartphone users have 22 apps (of which iPhone users have the most with 37) – Juniper Research
- Eight trillion text messages will be sent this year – Portio Research
- Application to person SMS (automated alerts from banks, offers from retailers, m-tickets, etc.) is expected to overtake person to person SMS in 2016 – Juniper Research
- 52% of Americans have seen or heard of QR Codes – Austin & Williams
- 28% of smartphone users in the US have scanned a QR Code – Austin & Williams
- In the US people 35 – 44 scan QR Codes more than any other demographic (25%) - Mobio
- 64% of QR Codes were scanned by women - Mobio
- QR scanning to receive information on a product or service is by far the most popular type – 87% of scans - Mobio
Convinced yet? If you don’t have a plan to integrate mobile into your marketing mix now is the time to start. With technology from companies like MoFuse and 44Doors mobile inbound marketing has never been easier. For help with your mobile marketing feel free to download our mobile presence white paper.
FREE Webinar: Mobile Inbound Marketing
Thursday, October 27, 2011 @ 1:00 PM EDT, 10:00 AM PDT
Join Kuno Creative's John McTigue (EVP) and Chad Pollitt (Dir. of Social Media & Search Marketing) as they present Mobile Inbound Marketing.