Top 5 Things for Inbound Marketers to do When the Internet Goes Down
Your Internet connection may seem like your lifeline, but there are times when it is not accessible (gasp!). Sometimes the power goes out, sometimes just the Internet goes down and sometimes you lose your iPhone at the Gap (well maybe that’s just me) but the question is, as an inbound marketer, how do you stay productive when you can’t get on the Internet?
- Write a blog post. This feels very meta right now, but you don’t actually need the Internet to write. It’s a shocking, almost blasphemous statement to some of the younger Millennials, but there was a time before Wikipedia had all the information and when you just had to write what you knew without the help of Google.
- Brainstorm with co-workers. Working in such a creative and collaborative environment can be exciting and lead to great ideas, but sometimes it’s hard to find 10-15 minutes where you can set aside your other priorities to focus on those potential great ideas.
- Relax and take a break. Studies show that taking a quick break from staring at your computer will actually help keep you more productive. Since the Internet is currently down, I can’t link to one of these studies, so you’ll have to take my word for it. It makes sense though, get up, walk around, stretch, grab some more caffeine, and interact with people. Just make sure you don’t disturb the people who are still working and it’ll be worth it.
- Practice your presentation skills. This is a great time to pull up your latest slide deck presentation and practice your public speaking skills. Have someone else listen in and give you feedback while looking over your slides.
- Organize your desk. More than organizing your files, this also includes actually cleaning your desk, keyboard and mouse. It’s important to keep clutter away so you can stay focused on the tasks at hand. As an added bonus, it could help prevent you from spreading germs and catching a cold later.
As an inbound marketer, it’s hard to cut off your lifeline, but there are times when the Internet is not accessible. Now you know things you can do to remain productive. What are a few of your favorite things to do when you cannot get on the Internet?
Photo: Grant Wickes
Learn How to Use Blogging to Increase Traffic, Leads & Customers