As 2012 approaches, we find ourselves celebrating successes, embracing changes, and planning for the year ahead of us. We thought we would share some of our resolutions for the New Year and some blogs that inspired them, from one Inbound Marketer to another. Happy New Year!
- Work smarter by mapping out your day first thing in the morning, and do not deviate from your list. Don’t let multitasking diminish productivity. The More Talented You Are, The More You Suck (3 Ways To Change)
- Test everything. 28 Simple Marketing Tests to Launch in 2012
- Write more. Having nine blogs started is helping no one. So, finish what you started. Add writing to your everyday priorities to make sure you’re creating valuable content as a rule, not as an exception.
- Don’t obsess about your Klout score. Redefining Social Media Influence - the Klout Debacle
- Change your desktop background monthly. It can offer inspiration and even be dual-purposed with a calendar. Smashing Magazine serves up some creative ones monthly.
- Spend more time with real, living human beings. And keep your phone in your pocket while doing so. Would It Kill You to Stop Doing That? A Modern Guide to Manners
- “Get less busy.” Start with turning off email notifications. You’re Not As Busy As You Think
- Send out hand-written thank you cards to your customers and let them know that you appreciate their business.
- Realize that we are only human and mistakes will happen. Polish your digital-age PR tactics by learning from others’ experiences. Corporate Twitter Account Train Wreck! The 3 Types of Self-Destructive Tweets
- Get out of the office earlier/more often. Get to the gym before all of the treadmills are taken/get to the store before your child has to be picked up from day care/[insert your own challenge regarding getting out of the office at a decent hour]. You have a smartphone. If you can manage to walk and talk at the same time, you shouldn’t feel chained to the office to stay in touch.
- Travel more. Even if it’s just to the town next door. This post was inspired by 11 Things I Learned from Travel in 2011 by travel journalist Spencer Spellman. He reminds us about the value of getting off-the-grid occasionally and escaping from our on-demand digitally-driven lifestyles. “Some of my favorite travel experiences from the last year were from taking days at a time to be disconnected from my phone, computer, and the Internet. In disconnecting, it allowed me to reconnect with myself and the world around me.”
- Laugh a little – here’s a start!
Please add your resolutions in the comments. We can use some more ideas! Happy New Year, Inbound Marketers!